Help for Adult with Articulation and Feeding Problems

By Pam Marshalla

Q: I am an SLP with a lisp and mild problems with chewing and swallowing. I receive SL services as a child, but I quit too early and have not completely remediated my errors. What would you recommend?

I would recommend that you find an SLP who is trained in orofacial myology to oversee your work on speech, eating, swallowing, and probably oral rest.  An orofacial myofunctional therapist who knows what s/he is doing would be of great help to you. You can go to the website of the International Association of Orofacial Myologists to find a person near you.

I commend your desire to get help 🙂

FYI: When I attended school in the 1970’s, all SLP students were screened for speech-language-hearing problems.  Those with deficient skills had to take therapy to remediate their errors.  Those who refused or who could not succeed were counseled out of the program.  The same process was used for teachers in training.  Many became clients in the university speech clinic.


Leave a comment!

Keep the conversation going! Your email address will not be published.