This advice-column-style blog for SLPs was authored by Pam Marshalla from 2006 to 2015, the archives of which can be explored here. Use the extensive keywords list found in the right-hand column (on mobile: at the bottom of the page) to browse specific topics, or use the search feature to locate specific words or phrases throughout the entire blog.
Fixing an Inhaled “S”
By Pam Marshalla
Q: My client breathes in (inhales) on S. How do I fix this?
- Teach him to exhale and inhale on demand using a straw or other blow toy.
- Then teach him to exhale and inhale on S.
- Teach him to hear and appreciate the difference between an inhaled S and an exhaled S.
- Teach him which one is correct.
- Practice the exhaled S.
- Work on syllables, words, and so forth.
Also, see my previous post on this topic.