Learn how to achieve cooperation and sound and word production in children who refuse participation in speech-language therapy.
“So practical! And the information can be put to use immediately!”
All speech-language pathologists face young clients who refuse to participate in speech-language activities. Some children don’t want to play unless it is play of their own design, and they hardly want to imitate sounds and words at all. In this DVD, Pam Marshalla draws from over three decades of clinical experiences to discuss 18 specific strategies to help clients overcome this type of uncooperative attitude. This material is designed to help therapists think through these issues regarding their own specific stubborn young clients.
This course is available for ASHA CEUs and/or Continuing Education Hours and is also available for group CEUs.
“I loved this video. One of the best I have ever seen. The pace was perfect – the quality of the DVD was beautiful. Everything was broken down nicely and easy to follow! I enjoyed listening to Pam’s explanations and anecdotes from her experience. And I loved the booklet, which was much bigger and easier to read than most conference I have gone to lately with power point handouts that I need a microscope to read (!!). ”
After viewing this recorded 1-hour seminar, participants should be able to:
- Use 18 different methods to adjust therapy to help clients become more cooperative.
- Adjust cognitive, phonological, and play level in therapy to make therapy activities more pertinent for clients who are uncooperative.
- Overcome tired routines of verbal stimulation so that clients become more willing to participate.
- Adjust performance ratios, the physical environment, and toys to win cooperation in therapy.
- Set realistic priorities so that clients who are uncooperative experience more success.
- Evidence Based Practice and Life Experiences, Research in the Field of SLP
- Methods: Performance Ratios, Cognitive Level, Phonological Level
- Methods: Questions, Word Choices
- Methods: Physical Environment, Play, Routines, Activities
- Methods: Verbal Leads, Pragmatic Functions, Curiosity
- Methods: Self Esteem, Classic Reinforcement, Responding, Saying “We”
- Methods: Priorities, the Long Haul
- Conclusion and Follow-Up Questions
Stubborn & Uncooperative is:
- 1 One-Hour DVD (high-quality 720p video seminar)
- 32-Page Handout Booklet
- Appropriate for SLPs and parents
- Available for optional 0.1 ASHA CEUs (see details below)
“I loved the ideas presented in the course! Besides for being varied and creative, they help give therapists “permission” to trust what they intuitively know about relating to children (e.g. from parenting experience) as opposed to the “scientific” behavioral methods that are advocated in many academic texts that do not reflect a natural way of relating to children. Good format. I felt it was easy to follow; I have always found Pam to be a fantastic speaker and I love benefiting from her experience. Thank you!”
Continuing Education Enrollment
All DVDs are mailed with continuing education enrollment instructions. After watching the video, please register for your CEUs on our website here.
If you do not wish to receive ASHA CEUs for this course, we are happy to give you (only) a certificate of completion after you watch the video — you will be given instructions on how to opt out of ASHA reporting when you submit your paperwork to us.
Group CEU Options
For those who would like to view the DVD together, we offer group packages. Group DVD packages come with one DVD and handout booklet and all CE participants will receive photocopies of the handout to use while following along with the DVD. The cost for each additional group participant is only $25.
ASHA Continuing Education
Marshalla Speech and Language is an approved ASHA Continuing Education Provider.
This course is offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Financial Disclosure: Pam Marshalla was the owner of Marshalla Speech & Language (MSL), through which this DVD was originally published and from which she received a monthly salary. Pam Marshalla passed away in June, 2015. This DVD continues to be published by MSL.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Neither Pam Marshalla nor Marshalla Speech & Language have any non-financial relationships to disclose.
ASHA CE Registry & Fee
To earn ASHA CEUs, subscribers must have paid their annual ASHA CE Registry fee. Individuals must meet at least one of the following conditions to be eligible to earn ASHA CEU:
- ASHA Member (includes Life member and International affiliates)
- ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) Holder
- Licensed by a state or provincial regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology (SLP) or audiology
- Credentialed by a state regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- Credentialed by a national regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- A Clinical Fellow supervised by someone who holds the ASHA CCC
- Currently enrolled in a master’s or doctoral program in SLP or audiology
The participant pays ASHA CE Registry fee directly to the ASHA National Office. The annual ASHA CE Registry fee allows registration of an unlimited number of ASHA CEUs for the calendar year. Contact the ASHA CE staff at 800-498-2071 or visit http://www.asha.org/ce/CEUs for CE Registry fee subscription information.